• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland





    From July 19 2019, the passport application must be submitted on a new form.


    Passport application form - link


    Passport Information

    Pursuant to the provisions of the Regulation of the European Union's Council dated December 2004 whose aim was to improve the security of passports and travel documents against falsification and to ensure a reliable link between the document and its genuine owner, the Republic of Poland introduced new passport procedures. Additional information is available on the website of the Ministry of the Interior and Administration.

    By the power of this law, passports that are now issued contain biometric data of the holder that are stored in an electronic format.

    The passports that have been issued so far retain their validity until their expiry date.  The validity of passports will not be extended, new documents will be issued to replace documents that have expired.

    The Polish passport is a document that authorizes you to pass the border and stay abroad, it confirms the Polish citizenship and the identity of the holder within the scope of the data that this document contains.

    Passports are printed in Poland, regardless of the residence of the applicant.  A Polish citizen who is applying for a Polish passport abroad should take into account the fact that the process will last longer due to the fact that the document has to be produced in Poland.  It is recommended that an application for a new passport is submitted minimum 3 months before the expiry date of the current passport.

    A passport is valid for 10 years from the date it is issued.  While waiting for a 10-year passport, you can apply for a temporary passport, issued for a period of 1 year.

    A minor who has not turned 13, will obtain a passport that is valid 5 years.  It is also possible to issue a temporary passport during the waiting period.

    You have to submit an application for the document and pick it up in person (art. 15 of the Statute about passport documents).  It is not possible to use a third party, travel agencies or to send documents by mail.

    In justified cased, especially when a trip to a consular office is particularly difficult, Consul may waive the requirement to pick up the passport in person, at the written request of the person who is applying for it and then the passport can be sent by mail to residence address.

    Passports are issued based on Polish civil registration documents exclusively.  It means that holders of birth or marriage certificates issued by a foreign registrar's office should register this certificate in the Polish registrar's office and obtain a Polish document (an information about registering civil registration documents is available on the website).




    A person applying for a new 10-year passport (or for a 5-year passport for a minor) submits the following documents:

    a. passport application, signed and filled out legibly (the letters should be printed and Polish character should be used).  Please note: it is not possible to use a passport application form printed from the internet website.

    b. the presently held passport - this document can be returned when you submit your documents at the consulate, it is necessary, however, to present it at the moment you pick up a new passport so that it can be annulled.

    c. PESEL number

    d. 1 recent colour photograph measuring 3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken during the previous 6 months, against a plain white background, sharp, clearly featuring the eyes and the face from the front.  A photograph has to show the person without a head covering and without dark glasses, looking ahead with open eyes, with a natural face expression and with a closed mouth.

    e. when you apply for a passport for the first time - a birth certificate issued by a Polish registrar's office,

    f. in the situation when you submit an application for a new passport due to the fact that you changed your surname, you should enclose a marriage certificate or a decision of the relevant Polish authorities in this matter.

    If a person applying for a passport does not have or does not remember his/her PESEL number, he/she should fill out an application with a request for assigning the PESEL register number and attach a birth certificate to this application, and in case of persons who changed their surname as a result of marriage, a marriage certificate issued by a Polish registrar's office.

    When a person applies for a new passport due to the loss of the old one, it is necessary to submit a statement concerning the circumstances and the date when the passport has been lost and valid government issued photo ID.

    If an application is submitted by a person who reached the age of majority and who has never held a Polish passport in the past (and that person refers to the fact that one or both of her parents are Polish citizens), it is necessary to confirm that he/she is a Polish citizen.




    Minors who have not turned 13 years are issued passports (biometric) that are valid for 5 years.

    An application for a passport is submitted jointly by both parents on behalf of their child, unless one of the parents has been deprived, by the decision of a Polish court, of his/her parental authority or this authority has been limited.  In case there is no consent between the parents or when it is not possible to obtain a consent from one of them, a Polish family court's decision replaces that consent for issuing a passport. Judgments of foreign courts that settle the above issues can only be considered when they have been recognized by relevant Polish courts.  In the event of the death of one of the parents, it is necessary to provide an original death certificate.  An application submitted by one of the parents together with a written consent of the other parent with his/her signature that have been confirmed by a Notary Public or by a passport organ is considered as if it had been submitted jointly by both parents.  The child's parent who is submitting a passport application should show his/her valid Polish passport.  When parents submit a passport application for their child 5 year old and older, the child's presence is required.   One of the parents may pick up passport for a minor. The child's presence is required in the case of minors over 12 years of age.

    If the child has been entered in the passport of one of the parents, this document should be submitted with the application, in order to delete the child from the passport of his/her parent.




    Passport information - download

    Print Print Share: